OpenRaid

Forums

You have private messages. Click to view them. You can access the forum via 'Board index'. See 'OpenRaid/My Account/Preferences' to change this behaviour.

Raid Rosters - "Unfair" Selection

For support relating to the OpenRaid website, including events and character profiles.

Raid Rosters - "Unfair" Selection

Postby Darrie » View Darrie's OpenRaid characters » Sat Apr 13, 2013 5:04 am

Hello OpenRaiders,

I'd like to address an issue we commonly see in support tickets: "unfair" selection of players.

OpenRaid supports the right of the raid leaders to build their roster in whatever way they see fit. There is no "first come first serve" policy. A raid leader may build a roster based on any number of factors: class balance, iLvl, achievement progress, or their past experience with certain players. Many also do use a "first come first serve" mentality, especially with older content that doesn't require any experience. This is totally their prerogative and we support them.

The only thing we require is that leaders actually invite the players that they approve before inviting reserves or friends from outside of OpenRaid.

While we occasionally hear that our policy "isn't fair", the fact is that forcing leaders to run raids that may be outside their comfort zone (by forcing them to take players) isn't fair either, and often sets the raid up for failure.

If you wish to join a raid where you notice that you are being passed up for other players, the best advice I can offer is to send a private message the leader and share your desire to go. Tell them you have watched the boss guide videos (and actually do it) and you really want to attend their raid. Putting forth this extra effort may turn the tables in your favor.

If all else fails and you cannot get into the raid you wish to join, remember that you can always post your own OpenRaid event to complete your goals, or look for a Staff Raid Leader who may be running the content you need and explain your situation.

Best wishes in your future OpenRaids!

Darrie
Events and Raids Supervisor
Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein
"Não se pode agradar nem a Gregos nem Troianos"
Previous Director of OpenRaid
Darrie
Darriepants, US-Horde
Knight-Captain
Knight-Captain
OpenRaid donor!

Re: Raid Rosters - "Unfair" Selection

Postby Grimnak » View Grimnak's OpenRaid characters » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:21 am

Personally, I like the first come first serve basis :p
Grimnak - The Conquerors(25)
Fire/Frost Draenei Mage
Grimnak
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Redmile » View Redmile's OpenRaid characters » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:25 am

I use the first come, first served rule for my raids.

All of my raids have been older content, so we can get away with having 1 or 2 healers, 1 tanks and all DPS.

I make it a habit to contact EVERY person that is confirmed on my list, and let them know when to be online for invites. On the flip side: I contact ALL my reserved people and let them know that if anyone is late they'll be the first, second, etc, etc I pick from.

I find as long as people know where they stand in a raid (confirmed or reserved, and why) they generally are pretty good about it.

My group, with all upcoming raids, here: http://OpenRaid.us/p/RedmileRaids
Redmile
Redmile, US-Alliance
Corporal
Corporal
OpenRaid donor!

Postby Redmile » View Redmile's OpenRaid characters » Tue Apr 23, 2013 10:26 am

I should add: before confirming someone for my raids, I do look at their experience on OpenRaid and the feedback on them.

My group, with all upcoming raids, here: http://OpenRaid.us/p/RedmileRaids
Redmile
Redmile, US-Alliance
Corporal
Corporal
OpenRaid donor!

Postby Royalite » View Royalite's OpenRaid characters » Thu May 02, 2013 6:09 pm

I guess I have always seen OpenRaid rosters to be similar to /trade in wow. When I am pugging, I get a lot of tells, but depending on what I pug I don't do first come first serve especially for harder content. I want to see gems, enchants, class balance, and that they overall understand the basics of the fight.

It would be really annoying if I was forced to take the ungemmed, unenchanted, fresh 90 into a tot raid cause he was the first to send a tell =S

What is nice about OpenRaid is you can read feedback about other raiders. The few times I haven't reviewed someone before inviting them, I found out later they definitely lived up to their comments (ie drops in the middle of raid, goes afk, etc). I learned my lesson to read comments before inviting or joining a raid.
Last edited by Kaliani on Thu May 02, 2013 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Fixed site name capitalization
Royalite
Royalette, US-Alliance
MVP
MVP

Postby Grudgar » View Grudgar's OpenRaid characters » Sun May 05, 2013 2:25 pm

Honestly I think that there should be a comment requirement when an Even Leader puts someone from Accepted to Reserve status, I think action such as this deems an explanation, most players, I think, would get irritated by that arbitrary action taken.
Grudgar
Grudgar, EU-Horde

Postby Darrie » View Darrie's OpenRaid characters » Sun May 05, 2013 3:32 pm

Grudgar wrote:Honestly I think that there should be a comment requirement when an Even Leader puts someone from Accepted to Reserve status, I think action such as this deems an explanation, most players, I think, would get irritated by that arbitrary action taken.

This is not acceptable behavior and you are welcome to report any raid leader who does this, without valid explanation, to our Support Department. http://OpenRaid.zergid.com/support
Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein
"Não se pode agradar nem a Gregos nem Troianos"
Previous Director of OpenRaid
Darrie
Darriepants, US-Horde
Knight-Captain
Knight-Captain
OpenRaid donor!

Postby jetrimm » View jetrimm's OpenRaid characters » Tue May 28, 2013 5:25 am

I believe a "first come first serve" system should be more of a guideline than something set in stone. As it was said, many factors can determine if you will be invited to a raid. For me personally I don't like to take elitists, or people who are rude in general along with me on my raids, because I would rather everyone have a good time.

However, I think that if you promise someone a slot in your raid you should give it to them, or at least make an effort to inform them of any changes as early as possible so they do not have to wait until raid time to start looking for a new raid. I am not sure what can really be done about this though, people will do what they want.
jetrimm
Uranus, US-Horde

Postby Ladorisa » View Ladorisa's OpenRaid characters » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:50 pm

Although I know it's the raid leaders choice on who to bring, sometimes I find it annoying when their choice doesn't make much sense to me. I often see people that are some of the first signups that are more than capable of going, high ilvl (530+ for T14), good ratings/feedback, and raid xp. None of them are approved but 5-10 signups later the guy with higher ilvl but low ratings, bad feedback is picked instead, makes it feel like the rating system is useless sometimes.
Ladorisa
Ladorisa, US-Horde

Postby Sneezer » View Sneezer's OpenRaid characters » Fri Jul 12, 2013 11:56 am

It really comes down to the raid leader no matter how you look at it. His choice might seem stupid or mindless in some peoples eyes, but don't forget that if the RL is hosting a raid, he've most likely done it before.

What I usually do when I approve people for my Raid Events.

1. Do we have Bloodlust on at least 2 players?
2. Is the ilvl of the healers enough to 2man Heal it
3. Have I raided with any of them before and know they can perform well.

The third step is where the "unfair" selection comes in.. Surely a raid can perform well if the conditions in 1 and 2 are met and you have 2 tanks... But wouldn't it make more sense for the Raid Leader to bring at least some people that he've raided with before to make the raid fast and smooth?

At least that's how I approach it when I setup my raids. I do however try to bring at least a few new people for every single raid, and award people for signing up for all my raids on a single day.
Sneezer
Glaivsneezer, EU-Alliance
MVP
MVP
OpenRaid donor!

Next

Return to OpenRaid Website Support