OpenRaid

Forums

You have private messages. Click to view them. You can access the forum via 'Board index'. See 'OpenRaid/My Account/Preferences' to change this behaviour.

Add decline option

OpenRaid.org and ZergID.com will be launching a new site together in 2016 under the ZergID.com domain. Your suggestions matter!

Add decline option

Postby Gnomad » View Gnomad's OpenRaid characters » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:03 pm

I know it sucks to be declined, but it also sucks to sign up rather early and then watch as the raid is filled with people who signed up after you, sometimes much later. And people who signed up after you are put on reserve while you're still there "available".

Also, when declining, RL can add reason instead of just leaving you wondering why you were passed over even if you are way above ilvl requirements and you have experience in that content.
Gnomad
Morghainne, US-Alliance
MVP
MVP

Re: Add decline option

Postby Gnomad » View Gnomad's OpenRaid characters » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:05 pm

And, from the other side, as RL I would love an option to decline with explanation for someone who signed up but I know they won't be approved for whatever reason (low ilvl, not meeting requirements, hunter, etc)
Gnomad
Morghainne, US-Alliance
MVP
MVP

Postby Darrie » View Darrie's OpenRaid characters » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:05 am

as RL I would love an option to decline with explanation for someone who signed up but I know they won't be approved for whatever reason (low ilvl, not meeting requirements, hunter, etc)

You won't love the fallout from people who can't handle rejection.
Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein
"Não se pode agradar nem a Gregos nem Troianos"
Previous Director of OpenRaid
Darrie
Darriepants, US-Horde
Knight-Captain
Knight-Captain
OpenRaid donor!

Postby Gnomad » View Gnomad's OpenRaid characters » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:45 am

Darrie wrote:
as RL I would love an option to decline with explanation for someone who signed up but I know they won't be approved for whatever reason (low ilvl, not meeting requirements, hunter, etc)

How is decline by making someone wait a week and never approving or anything better than real decline?
Gnomad
Morghainne, US-Alliance
MVP
MVP

Postby pitagora » View pitagora's OpenRaid characters » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:48 am

Darrie wrote:

I'd rather be told upfront I won't be getting in then keeping my hopes up until the last minute and then to cancel (I always cancel if I don't get in so I don't get accidental feedback).

I'd also like to see a reason why, as long as it's not publicly visible. I mean I know I suck but does everybody else have to? :)) Seriously now, knowing why I don't qualify could help me try again next week
pitagora
Ayunyo, EU-Alliance
Private
Private

Postby Siame » View Siame's OpenRaid characters » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:55 am

Gnomad wrote:And, from the other side, as RL I would love an option to decline with explanation for someone who signed up but I know they won't be approved for whatever reason (low ilvl, not meeting requirements, hunter, etc)

Leave them a comment on their sign-up. 50% of them care enough to check and read there, the other 50% isn't worth your time anyways. To use a decline option has been up a thousand times on OpenRaid, and the message has been pretty clear: it will not be implemented, for a gazillion of (good) reasons.
Siame
Siande, EU-Alliance
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

Postby Darrie » View Darrie's OpenRaid characters » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:21 pm

Gnomad wrote:
How is decline by making someone wait a week and never approving or anything better than real decline?

We try to reinforce the notion that nobody is ever being forced to sit around and wait a week to find out if they are going to be approved or not. It's better to have proactive raiders that reach out to leaders to express how much they want to go, or who change their status to Not Coming if they become impatient. Encourage leaders to use the systems we already have in place like the comment system. A quick "Sorry mate, we're full on your class" or even just a simple "Won't be needing you this week, thanks" is SO MUCH BETTER than a declined section that completely lacks context for why the person is declined.

And yeah we've had the suggestion that if you put someone into the declined section, you have to give a reason. Put yourself into the shoes of the raid leader that has to make up a reason for declining someone because the truth is that they can't stand to be in the same raid with the person due to personality conflict.

It's just not as good of an idea as people think it is. I really get the reasoning, there are some "pros" that match up with the "cons", but the "cons" win out on this one.

Sorry friend.
Gott weiß ich will kein Engel sein
"Não se pode agradar nem a Gregos nem Troianos"
Previous Director of OpenRaid
Darrie
Darriepants, US-Horde
Knight-Captain
Knight-Captain
OpenRaid donor!

Postby Rudox » View Rudox's OpenRaid characters » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:00 pm

While I do agree that a 'decline' option would be great, from a RL perspective, I also agree with Darries reason for not including it - people don't take lightly to be specifically declined.

What I do is usually just put a comment on their sign up "Sorry, we already have a Disc Priest" or "Already have too many hunters, sorry".

If the player seems otherwise worthwhile bringing, I usually put them on reserve in case a spot opens up that they can fill.

If people want a reason for me not bringing them besides that, they are welcome to add me (my battle tag is always in my event descriptions) and ask, or PM me here on OR.
Rudox
Níz, EU-Horde
MVP
MVP
OpenRaid donor!

Postby Gnomad » View Gnomad's OpenRaid characters » Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:12 pm

Darrie wrote:We try to reinforce the notion that nobody is ever being forced to sit around and wait a week to find out if they are going to be approved or not.

No one says people are forced to wait. This reason comes up a lot when discussing anything in wow: you're not forced to raid, you're not forced to play, you're not forced to fly, etc. I find it to be somewhat specious argument and I mean this in the nicest way possible.

As to contacting the RL to tell them you *really* want to go: as a RL, I don't want potentially 30 people whispering me about how much they really really want to come. That would get annoying really fast.
And when I sign up for raids, if the RL does not approve the roster until the night before the raid, there's no way for me to know that I'll be passed over even though I signed up really early and meet ilvl/experience requirements.

Why can't decline be an option, just like reserves. If some RL wants to use it, they can. If someone doesn't want it, they don't have to. I personally don't mind if people QQ over sound reasons for being declined. I get QQ over nonsense or because people feel entitled to whatever as a RL/GM all the time. Someone wanting to QQ will find a reason regardless of what you do.

I get that if people running this site don't want it, it won't happen. It's just frustrating to be in those situations and I come to OpenRaid because it gives some tools for fairness and transparency that in-game LFG tool lacks. But I guess we'll work with what we're given.
Gnomad
Morghainne, US-Alliance
MVP
MVP

Postby Rudox » View Rudox's OpenRaid characters » Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:44 pm

Gnomad wrote:I get that if people running this site don't want it, it won't happen. It's just frustrating to be in those situations and I come to OpenRaid because it gives some tools for fairness and transparency that in-game LFG tool lacks. But I guess we'll work with what we're given.

OR staff have previously said that as a raider, you're welcome, maybe even encouraged, to sign up for multiple raids happening on the same day or whatever, such that your chanced of getting approved is higher. You can always unsign from the ones you don't get approved on, if you get approved in one. Remember that once approved, you cannot be dis-approved unless there are very good reasons for it.
Rudox
Níz, EU-Horde
MVP
MVP
OpenRaid donor!

Next

Return to Suggestions