OpenRaid

Forums

You have private messages. Click to view them. You can access the forum via 'Board index'. See 'OpenRaid/My Account/Preferences' to change this behaviour.

[World of Warcraft] Raid Leaders Not Accepting You?

[World of Warcraft] Raid Leaders Not Accepting You?

Postby Ariiaa » View Ariiaa's OpenRaid characters » Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:16 am

Hey guys!
Are you regularly seeing that you are not getting approved, or even at least put on reserves for events you sign up to? If you find that you are one of those people, this guide might be able to help you out!

Step No 1- Optimize Your Character!
Doesn't really count as much for fun runs, but for current content runs, where raid leaders are likely to check out your character on armory, nothing screams 'DON'T PICK ME!!' as much as seeing:
Character Audit
6 Unenchanted items.
6 empty sockets in 4 items.
3 empty glyph spots.
So yeah, fully enchant, gem and reforge your character to show that you're serious! (and if you have missing glyphs, go get them! ^^)

If you're not sure about how to go about this - http://www.askmrrobot.com is an excellent website to do so from!

In addition to this, try and get as much gear as you possibly can before you sign up to runs. Run LFR, do runs on the Timeless Isle, try get into flex groups, do some normal runs, ect ect! Just try your best. :) Some leaders may be reluctant to bring a lower geared person to a heroic run who could easily get upgrades from LFR, when they haven't even attempted to queue LFR. Some leaders do also choose rosters down to item level (sad but true!).

Step No 2 - Know how to play your class to an appropriate standard!
Added this new step as this is something appropriate that is currently happening in my runs and no doubt other people's runs with the new addition of being able to play SoO x-realm current content. So, basically... if you're looking to join a normal/heroic run, you should be looking to be playing your character to a high standard. People will remember you if you're the 560 geared dps who is doing a significantly low amount of damage for your item level and chances are will blacklist you from both that run and other people's from that run. If you're lucky enough to get into the run that you wanted to - do you really want to ruin your chances in the future? Raid Leaders see this as people just looking for a "free" carry and gives you a negative reputation!

TLDR; use websites ect to read up on your class and your ideal rotation so you can get the best out of your character!

Step No 3 - Gain Some Good Feedback!
For raid leaders that check feedback walls, ratings and attendance, they are much much much much much less likely to pick someone that has:
OK Attendance
Feedback Wall:- "Player raged at people after 1 wipe and left!!", "Had really bad attitude was really rude to other players, ninja pulled then left...."
^ Or anything like the above!

Remember that everyone here is playing this game because they want to! This is your free time, chill out and have a bit of fun in raids, be friendly, always on time, be helpful when needed, bring that A game, and always show up to raids that you sign up for! Doing this often enough will both make other players remember you for being an awesome player/guy, and will also make raid leaders more likely to bring you!

Step No 4 - Missing Exp?
As I'm sure some of you have seen, there are sometimes some pretty vicious cycles. Want to get experience by joining a new raid? Nope! Sorry, you need experience to join it!

I'm sure this can get pretty frustrating, but I have a couple of tips to counter the experience barrier!

- Message the raid leader ahead of time, either through PM or try to poke him in game on his character. Assure him/her that you have read all tactics, watched all videos and 15000% will not mess up! Sometimes, this is just the nudge that the RL needs!
- Make your own raid! Sure, you may not have had experience, but if you look up the tactics before hand, you should be able to raid lead well enough! If you later find that after trying this you don't enjoy raid leading too much, at least you now have the experience you need to join other raids!
- Maybe try and get some of your friends/guildies with experience to make some raids for you first!

Step No 5 - Be Cool With Being A Reserve!
Yeah - being reserve might sometimes feel like you're being chosen as second best, but if you do get on reserve, don't sign off! Hang around in the chat box for the raid, or post in comments that you are 100% in if needed, or perhaps go and poke the RL on his char in game and remind him that you are there to step in if someone doesn't show up (which happens quite a lot, which gives you a fairly decent chance to get in!). Chances are, the RL will add you to the raid as he knows that you are online, eager to join, and a nice player!

Step No 6 - Read Event Info Carefully
Not all raid leaders have such descriptive event info as I do, but sometimes it's clear that some people haven't bothered to read it at all. As an example, as a base requirement to each of my events (from this expansion anyway), that people should have fully optimized gear - yet people still sign up without gems, enchants or reforges. The only thing this shows to a raid leader, is that 1 - you haven't bothered to read the event description, and 2 - it ties in with Step No 1 - Optimize Your Character! (scroll up).

Occasionally on my events, for tricky achievements such as Will of The Emperor, I may add something sneaky into the event description, such as:
Only taking people 100% confident with Will of The Emperor dance. If you have read and understood this, put a 'xo' anywhere in your note upon signing up.
This was actually particularly one of my runs a couple of weeks ago where I asked people to do this, and roughly half of the people that signed up didn't have an 'xo' anywhere in their notes - needless to say, they didn't get approved or invited, and to be honest, they probably didn't even know why.

Sometimes it doesn't just come down to this - other useful information can be found in the event description such as:
This is a beginners run, expect wipes, if you do not enjoy wiping for progress, this isn't for you
This is a run for experienced players, if you are under-performing expect to be replaced
This run is for 3 hours and all people signing are expected to stay for the whole duration
Little things like noticing this and altering your note in accordance may be a ticket to getting you into a raid, for instance in your notes put:
Will stay throughout all wipes with a happy smile and lots of dedication!
Got lots of exp of this instance, know how to play my class well!
Can 100% stay for all 3 hours nps!

Obviously you should also be expected to live up to your word, else possibly face bad feedback (going back to Step No 2) for either;
Leaving raids early,
Not playing to the standard at which you promised,
Rage quitting after wipes.
All of which will stay on your wall and will deter other people from wanting to invite you in the future!

Step No 7 - Sign Up On The Character You Want To Bring
Okay, it's awesome you want to play something else other than your main...but when you sign up to an even on the wrong character, some Raid Leaders may get annoyed, and possibly not even consider you because of this for several different reasons which I can list here:
- If Raid Leaders then want to check your alternative character, they may have difficultly finding the armory to check if your character is optimized, or even has a decent amount of item level for the raid.
- It adds time onto the already lengthy process of choosing people to approve for Raid Leaders, and they might not even bothering looking for your character and may just ignore you completely.
- Some Raid Leaders may choose people based on their classes and roles to go for a certain raid setup, and you bringing another character could ruin that setup.

That and it takes less than 2 minutes to add a character to OpenRaid!

Step No 8 - Using Notes When Signing Up!
I mentioned it briefly in Step No 5 - but adding a note when signing up can be extremely helpful when getting into a raid. Obviously now we have the option to sign up with a main spec and an offspec, so there's no real reason to put "Can play Tank and Healer", but maybe you could put "Tank ilvl = 550, Healer ilvl = 545". It doesn't even have to be anything about ilvl, as the Raid Leader sees your main spec's ilvl anyway (assuming you log out in game in the correct spec ofc), but it could be just little explanations as to why the Raid Leader should take YOU. Use the Notes as an opportunity to sell yourself to the Raid Leader! Ilvl, experience, you're super friendly, you have all voice comms, you're going to stay the full raid, you have an excellent working mic and you're very vocal, you come prepared for the raid, you'll bring noodle carts - whatever! It's your chance really, to sell youself when the Raid Leader starts approving people.

Step No 9 - If All Else Fails!
Why not try and lead your own raids? You never know, you could find it a lot more fun than you think. ^^

As an additional note, if you really are having trouble with getting into ordinary runs, all of the OpenRaid Staff Raid Leaders are exceptionally friendly and accommodating to new people on OpenRaid and beginners in general. Feel free to drop any of your local (Region and Faction specific) Staff Raid Leaders a PM just explaining that you've been having difficulties in joining runs and you would love to get accepted to one of ours. We are awesome and try to make everyone happy! :)

List of Staff Raid Leaders by Faction/Region.

US Alliance

US Horde
Smooshie
Gryhmoor

EU Alliance

EU Horde
Elexias

Note - Many of our Staff Raid leaders also do runs for the opposite faction, but I've posted here their main faction.
Last edited by Elexias on Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: Removed leaders that are no longer staff
EU Alliance - Former OpenRaid Staff Raid Leader!

My group!
My twitter!
My twitch!
Ariiaa
Littlearia, EU-Alliance
Sergeant Major
OpenRaid donor!

Re: Raid Leaders Not Accepting You?

Postby Jeremybell » View Jeremybell's OpenRaid characters » Tue Oct 15, 2013 4:15 pm

Ariiaa wrote:Step No 1- Optimize Your Character!

AskMrRobot is also a very nice site to see what enchants/gems you need and how to reforge perfectly to greatly increase the chance of being invited. There is a button on your character page to the askmrrobot link to quickly check if you are doing all right.
Jeremybell

EU - Grim Batol
Jeremybell
Jeremybell, EU-Alliance
Sergeant Major

Postby Ariiaa » View Ariiaa's OpenRaid characters » Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:52 am

Thanks! Forgot to mention websites that help with doing this tbh ^^ Edited :)

My group!
My twitter!
My twitch!
Ariiaa
Littlearia, EU-Alliance
Sergeant Major
OpenRaid donor!

Postby Niketa » View Niketa's OpenRaid characters » Sat Oct 26, 2013 7:15 am

As a raid leader myself, I must say: nice guide. These are good tips and you're absolutely right that things like this make a difference when I decide whether or not to bring someone.

Join my OpenRaid group, Slackers, to keep up to date with my raids.
Visit my website for bonus rolls, attendance, rules, etc.
Niketa
Niketa, US-Alliance
Corporal
Corporal
OpenRaid donor!

Postby hhph » View hhph's OpenRaid characters » Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:08 am

Great guide!

I'd add "Read the Description of the Raid"

I recently hosted a learning ToT10 event where I stated quite clearly the intention & goals of the raid - "This raid is for beginners wanting to try something a little more than LFR, we are going to clear the 1st 3 bosses."

Player signs up with a comment "Can I reserve the dagger off of Mageara?" Umm, no you can't because you didn't even bother to read the description of the event I'm hosting. If you can't be troubled to do that, I won't bother to invite.
hhph
Vask, US-Alliance

Postby Forlin » View Forlin's OpenRaid characters » Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:52 am

Communicate with the raidleader. Read the information the raidleader posted and leave a note with additional information like "x/14 flex experience" or that you can and will stay the whole run (no one likes it when players leave during the raid) and you will come prepared with flasks and potions.
And also letting them know when something comes up. Like when you are a little late. And sign off when you are not coming anymore, even if it is 15 min before the raid starts. You are still playing with other people who are waiting for you to show up. Wasting their time is not a nice thing to do.

This all leads to good ratings and feedback and thus to better and more fun raids!
Forlin
Ridder, EU-Alliance

Postby Drheckyll » View Drheckyll's OpenRaid characters » Thu Nov 14, 2013 1:40 am

agree with most of above - as a raid leader myself with a very full group of battle tags - cosntantly removing them (inactive tags) to add more - it can be very hard to add 'unknown' players to a raid. KEEP SIGNING UP - if you see a raid leader is successfull it will be very hard to get into 'that group' but if you keep signing up at some point you will get the leaders attention - land a reserve spot - be available - and eventually you get invited (i.e its your turn). Once your in - IMPRESS!! - make an aswome impression - awsome play be it DPS or tanking or healing / not screwing up mechanics or volunteer for specific duties / being helpfull (feasts etc?, summon people, getting ppl in vent / and even generousity goes a long way (eg win a role and see somone wants an item and you trade it to them instead - always gets my attention! etc). This will increase your chances to be invited back as well as get you good rating etc and you will become known by this RL and others. Like any community OpenRaid rep does get passed around so if you're new here be persistant and patient and you will get your turn in time.
Drheckyll
Drheckyll, US-Alliance
MVP
MVP

Postby Ariiaa » View Ariiaa's OpenRaid characters » Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:21 am

Once again.... updated!

Hoping this has actually already helped some people out. :)

My group!
My twitter!
My twitch!
Ariiaa
Littlearia, EU-Alliance
Sergeant Major
OpenRaid donor!

Postby forz » View forz's OpenRaid characters » Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:16 pm

I am not real picky but there are 3 things I look at before I pick ppl for my raids, Reputation, Ratings, And Feedback. If you have feedback of "Ninja Quits after 1 wipe" Nope you probably aren't getting accepted. Negative reputation won't get you invited either
forz
Forzaken, US-Horde
Private
Private

Postby Emaleigh » View Emaleigh's OpenRaid characters » Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:52 pm

I've found it very helpful to put something in your note when you sign up. ilevel and experience is extremely useful or if you are willing to play a different spec.

There are often times that I will take an undergeared person with me if they are willing to play multiple specs.
Emaleigh
Emaleigh, US-Horde
Private
Private

Next

Return to World of Warcraft Guides & Support